The Parable of the Prodigal Son
But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found. (NIV)
Compare Two Sons: Use the following questions to help the children understand:
Jesus is ready to forgive everyone – both “bad people” and self-righteous “good people.” God is Father to all. This lesson shows children that God’s love has no limits and they are always welcome to come back to HIM.
• How did the (Younger/Older) brother dishonor his father?
• How did the Father respond to the bad behavior (from Younger Son/Older Son)?
• What do you think it would take to make the Father stop loving this Son (Younger/Older)?
• What do you think the Son (Younger/Older) will do next?
• Which brother do you think Jesus wants us to copy?
• Which brother do you think deserved to be forgiven by the Father?
• What does the Father in this story show us about God?
• According to this story, what kind of people does God not love?
Ask the children to think about one real person they know, or have heard about that seems like a very “bad” person.
Then ask the following questions:
• How does God feel about that person?
• How does God want you to feel about that person?
• Ask them to begin to pray for that person and to ask God to help them love that person better.
• Pray right away and continue daily to pray with them for this person.